Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Great Burgers in a Great Atmosphere ~ Hodad's ~ Ocean Beach, San Diego

Hodad's is the first restaurant that I went to after starting a list of restaurants that I wanted to go to. I heard about it on the Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". I went to San Diego with Dan, my great friend Jessica, and her man, Doug, for the weekend with Hodad's on my mind. We stayed Downtown in the Gaslamp District but drove to Ocean Beach for lunch after driving down in the morning. As we walked up to Hodad's we saw a line and asked someone at the front how long they had been waiting. Since they said only 30 minutes, we decided to wait and let me tell you we were glad that we did! The gentlemen were lovely enough to wait in the heat and allow us ladies to go across the street to a Mexican restaurant for a beer. The wait did end up being approximately 30 minutes.

The environment inside was lively. Metallica was playing loud enough to get us rocking but not so loud that we couldn't talk. There were thousands of personalized license plates hung over every inch of the walls. We ordered beers and frings which came out very quickly. The onion rings were sliced thick and fried to a crisp. The french fries were steak cut and were cooked to perfection. Even better, Doug asked if they had Guinness and even though they didn't, the waitress recommended a great microbrewed beer that had a similar taste.

The hamburger that was featured on the Food Network was the double bacon cheeseburger. Doug had the guts to order it and was gracious enough to let me try it. This might be the best burger on the planet. What makes it different than other bacon cheeseburgers? The ingredients tasted very fresh and the meat was seasoned well. But what really stands out is the bacon. The cooked bacon strips are laid on the flat top and cooked until the make a patty. A delicious patty of bacon. Dan ordered a regular cheeseburger while Jessica and I ordered mini cheeseburgers. We were all very happy with the size and flavor of our burgers. I can't think of a better burger that I've ever had.

In addition to the waitress recommending a great beer, the service remained to be quick and friendly the entire time we were there.

Hodad's is a definite must try. Next time we're in San Diego, we will definitely go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment