Saturday, January 9, 2010

Italian Food That's Usually Good, Sometimes Mediocre ~ Luigi's Ristorante ~ Huntington Beach, CA

I've had good food at Luigi's but occasionally the food is only mediocre. Tonight, I ordered the baked trout dish and was not happy with it. The trout had quite a few bones in it and they weren't just pin bones; the sauce didn't have great flavor. However the jumbo prawns that were served on top of the trout were delicious! Dan ordered the mild Italian sausage with peppers and onions on a bed of penne with marinara sauce. This dish was good but nothing out of the ordinary.

I have a special place in my heart for Luigi's because it was the place that Dan and I ate on our second date. That night and a few other times I've had the Chicken Marsala, which I've never been disappointed with. The sauce is sweet and the chicken is pounded thin. About a year and a half ago, we went with several of my family members. As usual, I had to taste everybody's dish. My niece, Daisy, ordered the Chicken Fettucini Alfredo. The Fettucini was freshly made and the sauce was perfect. If I know my younger brother well, Kyle ordered the spaghetti with meatballs. And I believe my older brother Doug ordered a pizza which ended up being a bit doughy. Dan generally orders the Chicken Parmesan which is also pounded thin and crispy. My Aunt Julie and Kyle's girlfriend, Tracy were also there. That day everything that I tried was delicious and everybody was thoroughly impressed.

The portions are fairly large and we've never had bad service. The outside seating is great for people watching. Luigi's doesn't compare to our favorite Italian in downtown Huntington, Luggati's, but it will have to do because Luggati's just went out of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment