Saturday, January 16, 2010

Our New Thai Restaurant ~ Silk Thai ~ Huntington Beach, CA

On a recommendation from two friends, I looked up Silk Thai reviews online and became very excited to find an opportunity to try the restaurant. The reviews were raving and many gave specific dishes to try. I wrote down some of the suggestions and took them with tonight after running some errands with Dan.

We arrived and were pleased to see that it was crowded enough to know that it was a popular restaurant but not so crowded that we had to wait to get seated. The restaurant is fairly small and simply decorated. It is definitely not a fancy place but it is clean and welcoming. It is a good environment for a date or a family meal, although if you're still in the "Trying to Impress" phase of the relationship you may want to go somewhere fancier.

The staff is very friendly and took our order quickly. We ordered the Fresh Rolls with Shrimp (Spring Rolls) as our appetizer. It came with peanut sauce to dip. The saltiness of the peanut sauce balanced well with the sweet basil and fresh mint inside of the roll. The lettuce and cucumber added nice crunch. We did have to wait a little while for our appetizer because the restaurant got very busy. People were coming in to pick up to go orders, the phone was ringing with people making orders, and several people came in to eat at the restaurant all at the same time.

I ordered the Pad Kee Mao with Chicken (Drunken Noodles). The Thai name of the dish was on my list of recommendations and I was pleased to see the American name because Drunken Noodles is one of my favorite Thai dishes. For most of the entrees, you can choose how spicy you want it. I ordered mine medium and it had the perfect level of heat for my taste. It had Thai chilis sliced thin, which I had never had before. They have a heat like wasabi (although a little stronger) ~ it kicks you hard but wears off quickly. This dish rivaled the best Drunken Noodles I've had in the past. I liked the addition of a little bit of Romaine lettuce in the dish. It helped cool off some of the heat from the chilis and also added crispness.

Dan ordered the Crying Tiger, one of the most raved about entrees from the reviews that I read. It's thinly sliced, marinated Angus beef cooked medium rare served with a lime dressing. I'm not a red meat fan but this dish may have converted me (at least temporarily). I can't put a finger on the flavors but the marinade and dressing were delicious!

We ordered the fried rice as a side dish, which I thought was pretty average and not worth the extra calories. Dan thought it was the best part of the meal. Pretty typical of us to have different opinions on food.

Next time we go (and there will be a next time), we will save room for the Crispy Banana Roll with Ice Cream for dessert. The lunch and dinner specials seem like a great deal. We didn't order the dinner special tonight because it seemed like too much food. Each dinner special comes with a small Thai beer or glass of wine, house salad, appetizer of the day, rice, a choice of main dishes, and dessert of the day for $14.99. What a great deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment